Thursday, December 27, 2007

Blessings

Our family has experienced a number of changes since this time last year--some good and some not so good. I've had shingles . . . again! Actually, the medical term for what I have is "post-herpetic neuralgia" which is leftover pain caused by previous shingles experiences. Thankfully, this one wasn't as painful as past outbreaks. Secondly, Meredith has been involved in two car accidents in the past six months--in one accident she was driving, in the other she was a passenger. We're so thankful that she wasn't seriously hurt in either accident--nor was anyone else! Joey moved to Florida this past March, but we're glad to say that he's just moved back to the Bluegrass state. A few months ago Mike was told by his doctor that he needed to quit work and apply for disability. The bad part of that is obvious. The good part is that he and I have much more time together AND he cooks dinner for me most nights during the week! Might I say, I'm really enjoying both! When Rachel came to visit for her cousin's wedding during the summer, she unexpectedly had to have her gallbladder removed. She made it through the surgery with no complications, however, and after the surgery, we brought Rachel to our house where she stayed for about a week (time together that we enjoyed). When she returned home she was still able to go with Ben on their scheduled trip to Hawaii. Although she had to wear support hose on the plane, she was even able to go snorkeling, and they had a great time with their friends! In the spring I was invited quite suddenly and unexpectedly to accompany my aunt on a trip to the British Isles. This was a trip I had always dreamed of taking! I was able to see so much of what I have read, studied, and taught about. My aunt did have a bout of food poisoning, and it was while we were in England that I received news of Meredith's first car accident! Thankfully (again), the food poisoning effects were resolved in approximately 24 hours, and the greatest loss in the accident was the loss our our vehicle. As I said before, our year has had its ups and downs, but that makes us pretty typical. I realize that the negative events in life make us appreciate the positive ones so much more. All things considered, we have truly been blessed.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I am glad you updated! I love you so much and I wouldn't change our up and down crazy family for anything.

Anonymous said...

I love you, too, Sweetie--and our "up and down crazy family"! I do wish I could figure out why I can't get my pictures to upload. Oh, well, I guess that will give me a goal for which to strive.