Saturday, January 05, 2008

Don't put off until tomorrow . . .

I have been recently reminded of the uncertainty of life. A dear friend of mine was scheduled to have a "relatively" minor surgical procedure during the holidays. Since I was going to be out of town during her brief hospital stay, I hugged her and wished her well. With confidence, she assured me that she was going to be fine. For some reason, her doctor postponed the procedure for four days, but before the rescheduled day arrived, she had a serious stroke. Thankfully, she survived the stroke and understands what is said to her, but sadly is unable to stand, walk, or speak. We so often assume that our lives and the people in them will always remain pretty much the same. Particularly as I watch my family and friends age (not to mention myself), however, I realize that change is inevitable and am reminded of the importance of frequent contact with and expressions of appreciation for those I love. We can so quickly lose the opportunity to let our loved ones know how much they mean to us. Regret from such lost opportunities is difficult to bear.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

This is VERY true! I love you mom!