Sunday, March 04, 2007

Excuses and More

Obviously, it's been too long since my last blog....Rachel told me (at least 3-4 times) that I needed to update, Meredith told me (at least twice) to update; even Paul said that I needed to update. When I heard that Daniel, the blog police, was giving out citations (and fines!) I knew that I needed to get with it because I can't afford a fine! And I do realize that November 16 was quite some time ago. It is, however, one of the busiest times of the year. Thanksgiving dinner for several members of our family at our house, the day-after-Thanksgiving-Christmas shopping, my family at our house for the Powers' family Christmas, the end of the first school semester, nursing Rachel during her tooth extraction, Christmas at Ben and Rachel's, Christmas at our house, Christmas with my parents in Tennessee, a huge New Year's celebration--oh, wait a minute. . . .we didn't receive an invitation to that one! Sorry. . .I got carried away. At any rate, we were busy enough without another holiday event.
Even though it's a hectic time, I have always loved the holidays (as I mentioned in an earlier blog) and the time with family and friends. When I was growing up, Christmas was always a special time in our home. I don't know that it was any different than Christmas in anyone else's home, and to be quite honest, there were probably many families who were involved in many more activities during the holidays than ours was. My father's job kept us on the move and away from our extended family during most holiday seasons, so our immediate family (Dad, Mom, my twin sisters, and myself) were usually the only participants in our celebrations. That was always enough for us, however. We always had a tree. . . tabletop, live (green or flocked), plastic, or aluminum--we've had them all. And oh, the presents! There were so many! We always had all that we needed plus much more, but my parents didn't buy us something every time we went to the store or just because we asked. Christmas was a different story. I don't remember being asked what I wanted, but whether it was Santa Claus or Mom and Dad, the perfect gifts always seemed to make their way under the tree. I knew that it really wasn't the presents that were important, but the time we spent together. There was such a magical quality to the time and the traditions of each and every holiday season.
When I married and had children, I tried to instill in them my appreciation for the holidays. I think they all know how much the holidays mean to me, and I hope they'll share those feelings with their own families. It has always meant so much to me for us to be together as often as possible and especially some time during the holiday season. When our children marry, however, we have to show that we've learned another lesson--that of sharing. We don't just share gifts and food, but we also have to share our time--time with those we love. Although I've never thought of myself as a particularly selfish person, I must say that there's a part of me that would like for my children to be at our home all the way from Thanksgiving through New Year's. Now that Rachel is married, I realize the importance of her spending time with her husband's family as well as with ours. I also know, however, that as our children grow up, move away, and as way leads to way, there's always the possibility that we won't all be together. I do hope my children will carry with them many joyous Christmas memories that will bring a smile to their hearts and that will create in them the desire to return to their first home.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Well even though you talked about Christmas and the date at the top is march at least you updated!!! Love you!

Unknown said...

Glad you finally updated!!!

LMS said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll try to do better.

Granna said...

Glad to see that you are back in the land of the bloggers. I truly enjoy reading about what is on people's minds (sometimes not much is on mine!). It is somewhat like catching a peep into someone's diary. Anyway, glad to read the updates.