Saturday, March 31, 2007

Spring Break...and the EB


Spring break started for me this past Thursday. Yes, I'm actually getting a head start on everyone else in our county. Since I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday (used a sick day) and took my last personal day on Friday, I was able to leave early to visit with Meredith at school. After arriving, Meredith and I had dinner together, went shopping at Walmart (of course), hung out in the dorm, etc. Meredith "casually" mentioned that Easter was coming up next weekend and also "casually" mentioned her Easter basket. Yes, the Easter Bunny has continued to visit my children (ages 28, 26+, and 21) into their adulthood. I told Meredith that the EB ceases to visit individuals who have reached the age of 21. She was shocked and in total disagreement with that concept. After a bit of discussion regarding her age, obligations of the Easter Bunny to younger children, the subject was dropped.
I convinced Meredith to get up early the next morning so we could have breakfast together before her 8:30 class. After Mere. left for class, I made my required visit to the school bookstore and then on to the Dollar Store. After deciding to help out the EB, I managed to find an FHU t-shirt Meredith had described to me, some sugar-free candy, and two-small stuffed animals (a baa-ing lamb and a piglet for her collection) for her Easter basket (really a gift bag). It's no wonder my children still expect visits from the EB (and SC), but I just can't help myself...I guess I'm an enabler. When I delivered the "bag-sket" I let my youngest know that the Easter Bunny had extended his contract with her for one year...this year...but that after this year she, and her siblings, were off the list so he could devote his efforts to younger "kids." Although she wasn't too thrilled about her name being taken off the list, she was very excited about this year's Easter gifts. We had a great visit; I really enjoyed our time together. After I left Meredith, I drove about three and one half hours to see Rachel, my oldest child, and my son-in-law, Ben, with whom I'm looking forward to spending several relaxing days during my break. I called along the way to update Rachel on where I was on my journey and that everything was going fine--much like I did with my parents when I was growing up! During one of my calls to Rachel (who is 28), she mentioned that her Easter basked was on the dining room table waiting for the Easter Bunny's arrival! All I've got to say at this point is that this bunny is tired and looking forward to a rest....and that I'm really looking forward to helping out the EB when I have grandchildren!

8 comments:

Meredith said...

You made one 21 year old VERY happy!!!

Anonymous said...

The EB and I are happy that you are happy. Although I always recognized parenthood as a lifelong commitment, I didn't understand until recent years that my role as helper to the EB and SC was a similar commitment. Both have been gratifying.

Rachel said...

Well, you know, SC and EB can't just "decide" to quit being the EB and SC. It IS a lifelong committment and like you always tell me, Parenthood is something you should think about (and this includes your responsibilities as the EB). Don't take it lightly!

Emily said...

It's nice to know that other families still get visited by EB and SC! However, this year we were informed by our EB that we (27, 23, and 25)would not be visited this year! I was crushed, so my sister decided to help the EB and we will all get a surprise for Easter!

Meredith said...

I agree with Rachel! I might have to send a letter to the Easter Bunny! Maybe I can work out a deal with him!

Rachel said...

Meredith, I agree with you. We need to form a coalition and write the Easter Bunny. Maybe Emily will join too. Really, how can you just decide not to be the EB anymore? That is so wrong.

Katie said...

Okay EB and SC, I am with you! They need to be cut off, esp. the married children :0) That is the rule at my EB and SC's house! Sorry Rachel!

Anonymous said...

The EB will take all comments into consideration. Perhaps a more "limited" future commitment can be arranged.